Mandatory Indigenous Studies Classes

Mandatory Indigenous Studies Classes  

By: madison.kobelsky on Oct. 12, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

Do you think there should be mandatory Indigenous studies classes in all colleges/universities? Some students did not get the opportunity to learn about the history of Indigenous peoples in elementary/high school, or may have learned very little, so do you think everyone should have to take a class on this topic?

Re: Mandatory Indigenous Studies Classes  

By: Lindsay.Reese on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:02 p.m.

Yes, I do think an Indigenous class should be mandatory in all colleges and universities because so many people are unaware of the issues indigenous people are faced with. I believe that the more you know, the more power you have to create change.

By: amyhuxley on Oct. 13, 2021, 4:22 p.m.

This should absolutely be required. Knowing about our first people and also about different cultures can help us be more inclusive to all diversity. we also need to be educated to help us avoid repeating history with things such as residential schools

By: joleen.binder on Oct. 15, 2021, 6:05 p.m.

What about a mandatory component for each instructor to have to build into their class? I've noticed that most of our humanities classes do this, and I think it's amazing, but what about branching out into other programs that don't necessarily have humanities components. The problem with having a "mandatory" course is that word can sometimes hold negative connotations (think: mandatory masks and vaccinations) and there will be a natural amount of resistance, which is something I think we want to refrain from when trying to advocate for Indigenous peoples. However, if we put the onus on our educators to introduce the subject (in subtle ways) we can encourage a growth mindset.

By: PaytonK on Oct. 19, 2021, 6:51 p.m.

I think that having mandatory Indigenous classes would be extremely beneficial. I think that a lot of people never are able to learn about Indigenous material because in the past their teachers did not know how to bring it into the classroom and were not comfortable teaching about it. I think that individuals perspectives would shift as many only see their day to day life and their culture and never realize the other cultures outside of their own. Colleges/universities need to have the proper resources and access to individuals in the community who could bring their teachings into the classroom because so many people could gain an abundance of knowledge. Many people also only know stereotypes about the Indigenous community and do not have truthful and accurate information, so having a required class may be an eye opener. It also would make many aware of their "blank spots" and how they need to learn to be able to work at their blank spots and become more respectful and understanding of Indigenous people. This also would create an inclusive space where everyone is respected and valued for who they are.

Last edited by: PaytonK on Oct. 21, 2021, 9:33 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Mackenzi.gill on Oct. 19, 2021, 6:55 p.m.

I think that mandatory indigenous classes are essential because they will help us as teachers, and the general population, to understand the hardships they had to go through to be where they are today. Although times are better now, there is still racism, missing and murdered indigenous women and girls, residential school grave yards, and many other heartbreaking events happening that show their injustice within society. Educating people on indigenous cultures and traditions will keep peoples eyes open to understanding just how much indigenous people went through. Their culture, just like any other one, is as important in having a well-rounded and positive society.

By: taliaehalt on Oct. 20, 2021, 8:07 p.m.

I highly believe that it should be mandatory for students to take an Indigenous studies class in college/university. For a fact, I know that the UoS has this into place and it has helped students connect and learn about the Indigenous cultures here in Canada.