Children's Book for a K-6 Classroom

Children's Book for a K-6 Classroom  

By: teighlac on Oct. 7, 2021, 10:13 p.m.

Please add Indigenous children's books that would be suitable in a K-6 classroom

Last edited by: teighlac on Oct. 14, 2021, 10:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Children's Book for a K-6 Classroom  

By: M.wass on Oct. 8, 2021, 9:32 a.m.

Treaty Tales- The Handshake and the Pipe- Betty Lynxleg

By: janelle.smit on Oct. 9, 2021, 2:19 p.m.

• Stolen Words by Melanie Florence
  • The Pencil by Susan Avingaq
  • The Sharing Circle by Theresa Larsen-Jonasson

By: jackson.materi on Oct. 11, 2021, 12:16 p.m.

The Diamond Willow Walking Stick by Leah Marie Dorion
The Gathering Tree by Larry Loyie & Constance Brissenden

By: megancook on Oct. 12, 2021, 10:59 a.m.

Una Huna What is This? by Susan Aglukark

National Geographic has recently released a set of Indigenous Canada volumes. These are available at the Medicine Hat Public Library!

By: madison.kobelsky on Oct. 12, 2021, 7:53 p.m.

I read "I Am Not a Number" by Jenny Kay Dupuis and Kathy Kacer for my Indigenous read aloud! I would say this book would be good for grades 4 and up, as I think the details in this story are a bit too heavy for any grade lower than this. The book is based on Jenny's grandmother, Irene, who was a residential school survivor. She was forced to go to a residential school at only 8 years old, and when she came home, her parents hid her so that she never had to return.

By: Janay.Hein@mymhc.ca on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:46 p.m.

-Phyllis's Orange Shirt by Phyills Webstad
Great for introducing Residential schools to Kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students.

By: amyhuxley on Oct. 13, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

When we were alone. by David Robertson. It talks about residental schools in a way readable by young students

By: Blake.duclos on Oct. 13, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

"On the Trapline"- David A. Robertson. This is a great book for students to dive into about the culture around hunting and sacred grounds. The read is amazing and goes in detail, talking about the past of these areas.

By: Sam_Hsa01 on Oct. 18, 2021, 7:26 p.m.

"Go Show the World" by Wab Kinew. It is an awesome book celebrating Indigenous heros. They have a brief history at the end of the book about the Indigenous heros. Check it out!!!

By: morganfishley on Oct. 18, 2021, 9:27 p.m.

Here are several books that I have read. These would be great for a K-6 classroom:
1. Shi-Shi-Etko: This is a story of a young girl who is preparing to attend a Residential School. She spends time with her family as she prepares to leave, and they remind her to always remember her Indigenous roots.
Author: Nicola I. Campbell
2. A Promise is a Promise: This story outlines the adventures of Allashua. She finds herself encountering the Qallupilluit after fishing in the cracks of the sea. A clever plan crafted by her family saves Allashua and her siblings from the Qallupilluit.
Author(s): Michael Arvaarluk Kusugak & Robert Munsch
3. Fiddle Dancer: This is a story about a young boy named Nolin. He wants to learn more about fiddle dancing, so he spends time with his grandfather. He ends up learning more about the history of fiddle dancing in his family and even learns some new steps along the way too!
Author(s): Anne Patton & Wilfred Burton
4. Nokum is my Teacher - This book is a poetic conversation between a young boy and his grandmother. Throughout this story, the grandmother provides the boy with answers about how to navigate the our world.
Author: David Bouchard
5. The Elders are Watching - Inspired by the wisdom of the elders, this book focuses on respecting all aspects of the environment. The poetic style encourages the reader to protect the land for generations to come.
Author: David Bouchard

By: Kristy on Oct. 19, 2021, 1:16 p.m.

The Sharing Circle by Theresa Larsen-Jonasson
A great book to introduce the idea of a sharing circle and talking stick within the classroom

By: Ciana on Oct. 19, 2021, 5:18 p.m.

"Not My Girl" by Christy Jordan-Fenton and Margaret Pokiak-Fenton. It is about a young girl who returns home from residential school and experiences rejection from her mother due to her loss of culture. It talks about feelings of rejection and of redemption.

By: Mackenzi.gill on Oct. 19, 2021, 5:40 p.m.

When We Are Kind by Monique Gray Smith
I used this book for a grade 1 lesson and it worked really well with tying in activities. This book is about how we need to be kind to ourselves, others, our loved ones, and our Elders. It brings in many Indigenous traditions thoughout the illustartions and words.

By: kaitlynbyam on Oct. 21, 2021, 2:41 p.m.

Birdsong by Julie Flett
A Day with Yayah by Nicola I. Campbell
We are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
Missing Nimama by Melanie Florence