An Opportunity to Explore Indigenous Tradition with David Restoule

An Opportunity to Explore Indigenous Tradition with David Restoule  

By: tabithamercer on Nov. 30, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

On November 23, our class got the opportunity to be part of an Indigenous talking circle with David Restoule. It was such an amazing experience to take part in such a beautiful and rich cultural tradition of the Indigenous community. From the smudging to David’s bundle, to allowing the conversation to flow freely – and it actually doing so – was incredibly cool. This experience and hearing David talking about his journey in terms of discovering and embracing his Indigenous identity really reminded me of Tommy Orange’s argument of what it means to be an “authentic Indian in the city.” As David was taking us through his journey of discovery, he mentioned how he did not begin to truly learn about his culture until his early thirties and how prior to this he did not have much knowledge in terms of his Indigenous identity and background. This was much like the characters in Orange’s novel, There There, because each of those characters are attempting to find their own way through their generational trauma. David particularly reminded me of Orvil, who embraces his culture despite feeling self-conscious and fraudulent, and eventually begins to feel it dissipating.

Much like Orvil, David took it upon himself to explore his cultural background and connect to his ancestors and their traditions even despite his feeling of possibly being an imposter in the Indigenous community. Mostly though, David reminded me of Orvil in Part IV of the novel, because this is when Orvil finally realizes that jumping right into the practices of his people and their traditions is the only way he is going to overcome his fear of being a fraud. David seems to have embraced his sense of humility, for he never once held back the doubts he has about himself in terms of his Indigenous culture and I believe that is what attempting to move on from their traumatic pasts is all about. Embracing not only the cultural practices, but the humility that may come along with it at first. Much like Orvil, it seems that David is always trying to look towards the future while allowing the continuity with the past to remain.

Re: An Opportunity to Explore Indigenous Tradition with David Restoule  

By: Derek_Whitson on Dec. 2, 2021, 8:46 a.m.

Tabitha I really enjoyed how genuine and thoughtful your post was! I think you have made great connections between your experience with David's stories to Tommy Oranges characters in his book There There. Well done!

I have been fortunate to have experienced a few small gatherings with David and I am always amazed how I feel the moment I walk into the room. I instantly become calm and any worries that I may have seem to disappear knowing I am in such a safe and caring environment. It also gets me thinking about my own heritage and history which makes me want to explore my roots. I have always been a person that has naturally lived in the moment and followed my heart. It is what led me accross the country to where I am know, to my wife, the organization I help run, and to the education program. These are all things that I never imagined growing up but at times it almost feels like I was called to do this as I know I am in the right place. 

Just like Orvil's story and his feeling being called to ceremony, I believe it is extremely important to listen to what your mind, body, and spirit are telling you. I do believe their is a deeper connection with the world and a reason for why we were placed on earth so it aligns with my beliefs when I feel like I am being called to do something at times. Thank you for posting your thoughts and starting this conversation!