The Issue With Land Acknowledgments

The Issue With Land Acknowledgments  

By: shaelynnlacasse on Nov. 24, 2021, 8:12 p.m.

I assume like many others, land acknowledgments were becoming a routine to many people as a menaingful way to recognize and bring attention to the traditional land they stand on. I am pleased when a speaker begins a presentation with a land acknowledgment as it seems sincere and purposeful. An article on CNN recently, however, has altered my perspective on the way I view land acknowledgments - I have learned to be a lot more critical of their use.

There has been a few issues that have been brought to the attention of many Indigenous peoples. One of these problems is the tendency of being something to check off a list where many only begin presentations or meetings with land acknowledgment to simply have it done, with no real meaning or learning behind it. In this, it have communicate the message that we reocgnize the past but have no plans for the future. Some acknowledgments refer to Indigenous peoples as previous stewards of the land, suggesting that they took care of it back them but we plan to take care of it in the future. Land acknowledgments are meant to be the first step to reconciliation, not the only one. People cannot then use them when they do not have any beliefs or plans to give back the land in the future. Not only can they be empty gestures, they can also be incorrect or oversimplified - this defreats the purpose. Many fail to address the forcible nature and trauma that has occured on these lands.

Land acknowledgments can definitely be a good way for people to learn more about and respect Indigenous history, but they must be accompanied with the true belief of recognzing the origins of the lands as a simple startig point, and that there are many more steps to follow and commit to. The next time you plan to begin a presentation or anything else with a land acknowledgment, consider these points.

To read more on the article, click here

Last edited by: shaelynnlacasse on Nov. 24, 2021, 8:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Issue With Land Acknowledgments  

By: tannerp1 on Nov. 25, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

I am really interested with this post from Shae-Lynn. For the past couple of years, I found it to be kind of confusing as to why we did the land acknowledgement at the beginning of every new course. The problem was I was too scared to ask anyone why we did this because I did not want to make it look like I was insensitive or prejiduced. I think it makes it even more confusing when someting is not authentic. If there is no true meaning and value, then it doesn't really hold much credibility. This only furthers the notion that we need to be more aware, and more informed when it comes to the cultures that people around us hold. I think it is really important that the land is properly acknowledged and referenced. I think going forward, if there is more context given and offer some more historical information, it would make more sense to someone who is just learning about Indigenous culture like myself.

By: KRozdeba on Dec. 2, 2021, 5:01 p.m.

Thank you for sharing Shae-Lynn! I think acknowledging land before a presentation is so important. It shows respect and a recognition towards their culture in a meaningful way. I agree with what Tanner said. Before I really started to learn about the Indigneous culture I was unaware as to why we acknowledge the land before a presentation and was embarassed/scared to ask. It wasn't until my first year of college where I started to learn about the Indigenous culture. I was introduced to what a talking circle is and I have used that in my practicum when introducing a unit about the Indigenous culture. I also hear the land acknowledgment before my games at the college. I think it is important to acknowledge the land but in a meaningful way. There isn't a point if we just read it just because we have to. We need to make sure we do it as a way to bring meaningful attention to the land we are on. If we can teach people the reason we do it, then they are able to pass that on and more people will do it and they will do it in a meaningful way.

By: clay.nagel on Dec. 4, 2021, 11:05 p.m.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns on the use of land acknowledgements, Shae-Lynn. I was recently exploring this topic myself when I was working on my unit plan for our social studies class. In my search, I came across an article by Vancouver Sun called "Unceded: Why we acknowledge, or don't, that B.C. First Nations never signed away land" that highlighted ways that land acknowledgements were received by Indigenous peoples. I was shocked to find out that the response to the use of these statements is divided amongst Indigenous groups; some say that the acknowledgement honors and respects the Indigenous peoples who inhabited this space prior to our arrival while others argue that the practice diminishes Indigenous struggles and is a paltry offering considering the trauma that colonization had Indigenous been subject to.

The idea of using land acknowledgements as a means of reconciliation seems slightly less appealing to me than it did before after reading through both yours and my news article. I realize that words can only do so much and that following through with actions that bring change are a much more valuable and meaningful gesture for Indigenous peoples. As long as we cling to and hide behind our words instead of putting them into action the West will continue to tokenize land acknowledgements, focusing on our own need for reconciliation and adding further insult to injury of our Indigenous population.

It is not clear to me how we should proceed but instead of suggesting that we refrain from land acknowledgements altogether, I propose that we start asking more questions and listen attentively to Indigenous groups for potential solutions to this. Perhaps Louise Erdich's love of literature could be an inspiration for how Indigenous and Western ways of knowing could be combined and celebrated more meaningfully than through just these acknowledgements alone: "Books. Why? Because they are wealth, sobriety, and hope" (Erdich 77). As for myself, I will continue to search for ways to blend both Western and Indigenous ways of knowing together in my teaching practices. My hope is that one day, Canada will be a place for all peoples to call home instead of a constant racial dichotomy of "us" vs. "them".

Last edited by: clay.nagel on Dec. 5, 2021, 12:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added reference from Louise Erdich.

By: Parkorthomas on Dec. 7, 2021, 9:59 p.m.

Very insightful! I will confess I was beginning to notice the constant use of land acknowledgments and it made me wonder if people were doing this because the genuinely believe what they are saying, or if they are simply checking off being politically correct in modern times. Many time I see people coming together for a cause but only because many people have paved the way first. I am not saying that this is wrong in any way, all I noticing through these posts is that it is important to think critically. Better yet, rather than judging someone else, we must first look at ourselves. What do we really believe and how are we expressing these values. It is so easy to be critical of other people and the descisions they are making. I think it is important to remember that we must first do our part and do it honestly, being an example to those around us.

The awareness that is being brought to the Indigenous community and their land is a step! Word is spreading and when this clashes with the ideologies and identities of those who are confused and do no agree we must be there to educate and be role models for what respectful citizens look like. We do not need to be Indigenous experts with all the answers, but we can help address common misconceptions and tweak perspectives just like we are in this forum posting. This open channel of communication and openly addressing current events is a important aspect of growing in a culturally responsible way!