One thing i have noticed as of late is the colonization of indigenous goods because as I have been noticing more indigenous patterns being incorporated into mainstream clothing I wonder if the clothing was actually designed by someone indigenous or if it was the theft of cultural designs done by big corporations. This is something I have become increasing aware of when purchasing things because it feels unfair to give money to a company that has stolen the revenue that should have rightfully gone to the indigneous community for their creations. If we take a look around, moccasins are everywhere but not everyone buys them from reputable sources. This is what I would consider the colonization of indigenous goods because it involves a non indigneous company profitting off indigneous culture.

I would like to point out this can be done properly however, Nike partnered with a designer by the name of Tracie Jackson to create a shoe called the Air Moc. This shoe design was created to honour her great granmother who was a member of the Black Streaked Wood People clan of the Navajo Nation. She taught Tracie all about rug making and without her Tracie says that she would have never learned about her culture. This is a prime example of a larger partnerhsip done which honours indigenous design while having an indigenous person making the design.

If there is anything to get out of this post it is that Indigineous design should not be used for the benefit of anyone besies the indigneous. It is only fair and jsut that they get proper credit payment for their work that they have created. It is not for the majority to take.

Information found from https://hypebeast.com/2019/11/nike-n7-pendleton-10th-anniversary-collection-air-force-1-jordan-8