Recently, I have been looking to update my collection of books about Residential Schools for my future classroom. On National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, I struggled to find literature to start the conversation about Residential Schools with my younger students. The news article below from CBC News shares a list of ten books that educators can use to address the legacy of Residential Schools with their students. In the article, a description of each book and a suggested age range is provided.

I chose to share this news article because it reminded me of the experiences that Zitkala-Sa shared in her memoir in American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings. In her writing, Zitkala-Sa outlines the trauma she endured as a child in the Residential Schools. Some of the traumatic experiences she speaks about are being reprimanded for making snow angels, cutting her hair, having religion imposed her, and relentlessly following routines. Stories like Zitkala-Sa's are valuable because they are firsthand accounts of the atrocities that have occurred at these schools. Thomas King speaks to the importance of listening to stories from Indigneous peoples because they are real and authentic. At the end of many chapter in his book, King says, "You've heard it now" (29). What King seems to be implying by this statement is that we are responsible for what we choose to do with these stories. Sharing stories about Residential Schools with my students is one of the ways I can continue the conversation about First Nations, Metis, and Inuit experiences in Canada.

Article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/10-books-about-residential-schools-to-read-with-your-kids-1.3208021

Works Cited:
Bellrichard, Chantelle. "10 Books About Residential Schools to Read with your Kids." CBC News, 27 September 2015, https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/10-books-about-residential-schools-to-read-with-your-kids-1.3208021.
King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. House of Anansi Press, 2003.