I came across this article on Global News, it is about a study done on the discrimination on Indigenous people when showing their status cards at stores within BC.
Indigenous people already struggle from discrimination as we have seen throughout our texts studied in this course. The article says “Status cards have long been the prime catalyst for the public expression of ongoing racism and stereotyping of Indigenous Peoples,” said Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, UBCIC’s president.”

I believe we can relate this back to Indigenous people not being able to feel Indigenous in today’s world. I think the poem by Tommy Pico, You can’t be an NDN person in todays world relates to this issue. Indigenous people can still live in cities, take part in the new world and still be Indigenous. They shouldn’t have to feel like they are being discriminated against when they are doing things that are Indigenous.

It is through classes like these that we can appreciate Indigenous ways, and I believe it allows us to see more into their culture. Reading articles like this still show that we have a long way to go, but I believe by having more education on Indigenous culture we as a country can start to see things differently.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9283114/first-nations-discrimination-study-indian-status-card/