For many people it can be hard to understand the impact of generational trauma. From the outside looking in many people may understand that indigenous people underwent a strategic genocide conducted by the north American government and still not understand why something that didn't directly happen to you may affect you. I have attached an article that can help educate people on the signs of generational trauma and explain in simple terms what exactly it is. To summarize this article, generational trauma happens when one traumatized generation passes this trauma on to their children because they are now predisposed to create traumatic cycles. This could be poor coping skills that are inhereted, or a feeling of despair, but what this does is it perpetuates the initial trauma even hundreds of years after the fact. This is important to understand because it may stop ignorant comments such as "I wasn't there, my family weren't the people doing this, this didnt happen to you, get over it, etc". People do not seem to acknowledge just how significant an organized genocide is unless it pertains to them somehow. This is why many (hopefully) north Americans would never say "just get over it" to a jewish person refering to the holocaust, because they either had grandparents or parents that fought in WWII and understand just how atrocious the realities of genocide are. It is ridiculous however to understand one genocide and in another breath, discredit a seperate one. If you are at all confused on generational trauma then please read this article, or just use it to ruin thanksgiving. https://www.ensembletherapy.com/blog/what-is-generational-trauma