I came across a Global News article titled, "Indigenous man who pleaded guilty to 12 counts of sexual assault appears in Saskatoon court". What caught me off guard was not the behavior of this elder who acted extremenly inappropriotely by objectifying women for his sexual pleasures, but rather that the article had to highlight that this man was Indigenous. Similarly, this often occurs when other ethnic minorities like African Americans or Eastern Asian people are involved in crimes, but we see this lot's with Indigenous people in Canada. If the article simply read "Man pleads guilty to 12 counts of sexual assault" not only would this article likely receive less clicks, but people would assume that a white man was involved in the crime, as no specific race label was used.

This idea of race labelling, made me think of Tommy Orange's "There, There" where he states in the prologue, "We've been defined by everyone else and continue to be slandered despite easy-to-look-up-on-the-internet facts about the realities of our people and history" (7). Throughout our modern world, the stereotype that Indigneous people are alcoholics and drug-abusers meaning they are violent still resonates with many people, and unfortunately articles like these further perpetuate these ill-advised assumptions. When users click on this article they connect "Indigenous man and sexual assault" which only helps fuel their confirmation bias and the idea that of course an Indigenous person commited an act of violence. After reading throught the article, I was glad to hear that the judge tranlated the court case in Cree, as this is the language that the Indigenous man spoke, but was dissapointed that the article had to highlight the man's race in it's report. Ultimately, this is just another example of those in the dominant culture defining and labelling Indigenous people, rather than allowing them to tell their own stories.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9229179/indigenous-man-sexual-assault-saskatoon-court/
Orange, Tommy. There, There. McClelland & Stewart, 2018.