I found an article tonight that relates to the discussions we have been having throughout the entire course that I wanted to bring to light. The article "How this man plans to help other fathers in his Manitoba First Nation heal from trauma" by Chelsea Kemp talks about how a man named William Gaywish struggled with addiction in Winnipeg. Gaywish hopes to heal and help others who need healing by creating a conference. Many people in his community are struggling with intergenerational trauma and the ongoing effects of Residential Schools and substance abuse.

While reading the article, I noticed that it is very similar to some of the poem's we have talked about in class (including the presentations) and the underlying theme of trauma from Residential Schools in Zitkala-Sa's book. Even though it relates to the poems and Zitkala-Sa's book, I think it relates the most to There There by Tommy Orange. We have discussed intergenerational trauma among the twelve characters in the book who went through different addictions and different kinds of trauma from the past that are impacting them in the present.

The article continues on by talking about the ways the conference plans to deal with the trauma. One goal the conference had in mind was to offer very vulnerable and open conversations about what they can do as people, and just as a society, to create that change. They also mention how participants are creating action plans to address the trauma Indigenous people are facing in the community. I think that is a great start to the healing process. Another thing I liked from the article is how connection plays a key factor in the healing process. It made me think of Orvil and how he wanted to seek out a community by going to the powwow. I think this article has some overlapping ideas to what Orange intended in his book. With all that being said, one thing that everyone has to understand is that healing is a long process and Indigenous people may never fully heal from the trauma they have faced.
- Isabella

References:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/how-this-man-plans-to-help-other-fathers-in-his-manitoba-first-nation-heal-from-trauma/ar-AA14xFDt