Louise Erdrich mentions in her book Books and Islands in Ojibwe Country: Travelling through the Land of my Ancestors the idea that Indigenous people are themselves islands, alone and seperate. She is bringing forth the reality that the majority of Indigenous lands and peoples have been eliminated by colonialism and its aftermath.
It struck me while I was watching Jimmy Kimmel Live on Novemeber 10, 2022 how real and prominent this issue is still today. As Jimmy Kimmel was interviewing his guest Luke Grimes, who is an actor in the very popular show Yellowstone, he shows the audience a cover of a magazine called "Cowboys & Indians" as Luke Grimes is on the cover. Kimmel goes on to say that he had to "check that it was a real magazine" and that he looked into it and that their only ever seems to be cowboys on the cover. I beleive that Kimmel was not only trying to hint at the overall political incorrectness of the name of the magazine but was also blatently drawing the audiences attention to the unequal representation of "cowboys and Indians" within the magazine itself.
I have watched Yellowstone myself and I find that it does tend to represent Indigenous peoples, traditions, and culture fairly decently. Thus, the interview made me wonder why the magazine chose not to pick one of the many Indigenous actors from the show for the magazine cover, or even why they chose not to put multiple images showcasing the casts diversity on the cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqA_BWwR44A