I write this to present a story you may not have heard before, I was scrolling through facebook when a friend of mine shared this headline from 2012 about Jim Thorpe. Jim Thorpe was the first Native American athlete to bring home a gold medal for the United States winning two medals in the 1912 summer games, all while wearing shoes he found in the garbage the night after he hunted squirrels all night. He was then subsequentially stripped of both his medals due to playing amateur baseball in 1909 which technically violated olympic rules at the time. Eventually in the 80s his medals were reinstated and yet, why do we not know his name? There was a general attitude by Americans that Thorpe was a "lazy indian" perpetuating the stereotype of laziness when this was not the case. I think everyone should read the story of Jim Thorpe as its some of the most accurate depictions of how it previously didn't matter what you accomplish as a minority as systemic racism has a way of taking that away. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-are-jim-thorpes-olympic-records-still-not-recognized-130986336/