Perpetuated Stereotypes in Brocket 99

Perpetuated Stereotypes in Brocket 99  

By: allison.beck@mymhc.ca on Sept. 19, 2022, 2:39 p.m.

I have very clear memories of a mock radio station called Brocket 99 being played at adult gatherings and being quoted as comedy between adults frequently as a child. This mock radio station was my only exposure to Indigenous culture in my childhood household.
This mock broadcast was a bit of a dichotomy as some people, both Indigenous and not, saw it was a way of having a sense of humour and poking fun at reservation life while others saw it as racist propaganda. For me, looking back on it as my only exposure to an entire group of people, tt created, and engrained stereotypes in me from a very young age that took me years (decades) to recognise and then unlearn.
This reminds me of issues that Thomas King is saying in his book The Truth About Stories. This his book he discusses how perpetuated stereotypes of Indigenous people leads to people only seeing Indigenous people as being able to exist in one type of way. Brocket 99, put Indigenous people in a box, which didn’t allow them to be seen as the complex and unique individual people that they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQEbGdDGno

Re: Perpetuated Stereotypes in Brocket 99  

By: connorday33 on Sept. 20, 2022, 12:51 a.m.

Ahh Brocket 99. I remember first hearing this and being upset about it myself, I felt like it was a pretty mean spirited joke if you can call it that, but over time I came to this conclusion: if it comes from a place of hate then it is racist propaganda, if it comes from a place of a genuine attempt at humour then its just a pretty mediocre skit that aged like milk. But I never considered that this would actually affect how someone would view indigenous people because I thought it was so different then the natives I knew and was raised around. Admitedly thats pretty small minded of me because of course it could impact someone that is unaware of broader indigenous culture, I just had never had that thought before reading this post, I appreciate you sharing!