I chose an article about a Residential school survivor. A gentleman named Jeff Cappo earned his Masters of Indigenous Education diploma, which is a huge achievement since many Indigenous people did not receive the same educational opportunities as he did. In 2014, Cappo decided to go to the University of Saskatchewan to complete the education program, which shows he was determined to make a difference and become something more than just and Indigenous survivor. I think the article is significant to some of the texts we have read throughout the course so far. One in particular is American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings, by Zitkala-Sa. She taught at a boarding school and got to see first-hand what the government was doing to Indigenous people. She even wrote stories about the mistreatment of Indigenous people through animals and different characters. Cappo is doing something similar, he is sharing his culture and his experiences with students.

Cappo was proud to share a part of his culture that was once lost to Residential schools and he talked about the two things he is proud of most. The first one is his hair. In Residential schools, Indigenous people were forced to cut their hair. The second one was singing at his convocation. In Residential schools Indigenous people could not speak, let alone sing their own cultural songs. Cappo aims to educate his students about his culture and develop land-based learning, which I think is unique and motivates me as a future educator to never give up. - Isabella W.

References:
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/how-a-sask-residential-school-survivor-is-teaching-indigenous-culture-to-the-next-generation-1.6152253