We have talked and listened to many poems in our class. Many of these poems are short, but they are packed with a sense of people who have lost their indentites. What colonialism has done to people and the effect it has had on indigenous people. How it impacted them hundreds of years ago and still today. This brings me to my topic today; the sixties scoop.

The sixities scoop was much like the residential schools. It was the mass removal (scoop) of aboriginal children from their homes into the welfare system. "In the case of Aboriginal mothers, stories of government involvement in family life often go back generations. The legacy of removing children from their families and communities, first through the residential schools, and then through the child protection system, continues to impact the lives of these mothers, their children and their grandchildren." We see the effects of residential schools and the sixties scoop in our generations today. The term intergenerational trauma has become a well known term today. As one could imgaine the trauma that would come with either being taken to a residential school or put into a mass welfre system. Loosing your family and culture would strip you of your identity leaving you with a world of hurt. I believe we can see the impacts of events like the sixties scoop and residential schools when we took a look at all of the different poetry through our presentations. I chose Family History and you can see how Abigails family was impacted and she feels a loss and a hurt and almost rage towards these events because what they did to her great grandfather. These events have and are still hurting generations to come.

I kind of want to tie into my first post about the pope coming to say sorry to the indigenous peoples for what the Catholics have done to them. What about our own governement. Is sorry enough? What are they going to actually do for the people? Money does not fix problem. Many people say money can't buy you happiness. There hurt needs to be fixed. People identites don't come back with apologies and money. The past injusctices are still problematic today and they arent the past if they are still happening today.

Works cited
https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/sixties_scoop/