Who Discovered Canada?

Who Discovered Canada?  

By: AlexaAppell on Sept. 12, 2022, 9:30 a.m.

The thought-provoking article published by CBC in August of 2022 discusses the recent results of a web-based survey that says, “Quebecers are more inclined to say that Jacques Cartier… discovered Canada” (Taylor). As any citizen of the country should be aware, Canada is desperately trying to reconcile their past wrongs toward Indigenous peoples and polls such as this, in a province that is in the top two numbers for population in our country, should come as an alarming publication. The online resource, “The Canadian Encyclopedia,” expresses that Indigenous people are identified as the original inhabitants of Canada (Parrott). Colleges and Universities across the nation are desperately trying to educate students about this essential population in our country as well as their history and it is shocking to me that a highly central voice in media would not only run a poll like this but publish such shocking results. This further instills that we need more education across all provinces on the original inhabitants as well as further discussion on how Canada should be working harder at reconciliation.

Works Cited

Parrott, Zach. "Indigenous Peoples in Canada". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 28 May 2020, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/aboriginal-people. Accessed 10 September 2022.

Taylor, Stephanie. “Who ‘Discovered Canada’? Quebec Says French Explorer over Indigenous People: Survey.” CTVNews, 25 Aug. 2022, www.ctvnews.ca/canada/who-discovered-canada-quebec-says-french-explorer-over-indigenous-people-survey-1.6041506. Accessed 12 Sept. 2022.

Re: Who Discovered Canada?  

By: izzy.06.13 on Sept. 14, 2022, 10:17 p.m.

I totally agree with you Alexa. I think many of us are uneducated about Indigenous culture and how they were the first inhabitants in Canada. I read a book about this topic once actually and never realized how many people did not know they were the first to discover Canada. I also agree that reconciliation is necessary in order for us to move forward. Being educated is step one in this process. Love your topic choice! Thank you for sharing your insight.