MHC's October Virtual Q & A with First Nations Scholar Dr. Dustin Louie

MHC's October Virtual Q & A with First Nations Scholar Dr. Dustin Louie  

By: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 9, 2020, 10:49 a.m.

Hi all,
Medicine Hat College's Campus Connections Series is delighted to have scheduled First Nations scholar Dr. Dustin Louie for a second Q&A session on Thursday, October 29th, from noon – 1 p.m. We'd love to hear from the MHC community about your own questions for Dr. Louie regarding strategies for decolonization and Indigenization (or other related topics emerging from last July's Q&A). Post your questions below and I'll do my best to fit them in to our conversation (after the session, do return here to post further comments).
- Geoff

Dr. Louie is a First Nations scholar from Nee Tahi Buhn and Nadleh Whut’en of central British Columbia and a member of the Beaver Clan. His educational background includes a degree in Canadian history, a Masters in International Relations, and a PhD in Educational Research.

Last edited by: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 28, 2020, 3:39 p.m., edited 5 times in total.

Re: MHC's Virtual Q & A with First Nations Scholar Dr. Dustin Louie  

By: YolandaT on Oct. 13, 2020, 5:06 p.m.

I would be interested in anything Dr. Louie had to say but especially how he deals with "resistance" (to use a nice word) in the classroom when it comes to presenting Indigenous content. How do we respond to students who are resistant to being taught about Indigenous cultures or who are even hostile and aggressive in questioning what we teach?

Last edited by: YolandaT on Oct. 13, 2020, 5:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: TylerC on Oct. 15, 2020, 11:45 a.m.

Are these Q&As recorded and posted online anywhere?

By: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 15, 2020, 12:04 p.m.

Yup! Click here for the first Dr. Louie Q&A video (n.b. I believe it expires at some point, so the link may not be active for long)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Hamilton, Site Co-Ordinator, OurLearningCircle.org
www.geoffhamilton.com

Last edited by: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 15, 2020, 12:09 p.m., edited 8 times in total.

By: BrentW on Oct. 22, 2020, 4:15 p.m.

My question: let's say, as a nonindigenous person I want to incorporate a talking or learning circle into my classes, but I don't really know how to do this properly (and don't have anyone around in person to guide me)... how do I do this the right way? where do I get guidance?

By: emma.macdermi1 on Oct. 26, 2020, 8:41 a.m.

How should teachers balance the horror and tragedy of colonialism with positive stories about Indigenous-centred narratives, resistance, agency, and positive growth and development?

Re: MHC's October Virtual Q & A with First Nations Scholar Dr. Dustin Louie  

By: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 29, 2020, 12:44 p.m.

Thanks so much for the questions, folks!
The Q&A can be viewed here.
And -- do continue the conversation here (and perhaps on other parts of the site, too)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Hamilton, Site Co-Ordinator, OurLearningCircle.org
www.geoffhamilton.com

Last edited by: Geoff_Hamilton on Oct. 29, 2020, 2:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.