What are some of the reasons indigenous people do not attend a post-secondary institution?

What are some of the reasons indigenous people do not attend a post-secondary institution?  

By: Lindsay.Reese on Oct. 13, 2021, 8:12 p.m.

1. financial reasons- need to support their families
  2. racism in school- not welcome at post- secondary
  3. not adequately prepared for post-secondary education- feel their grades are not good enough or don't want to attend post- secondary
  4. don't want to leave their community

Re: What are some of the reasons indigenous people do not attend a post-secondary institution?  

By: tamarabarth on Oct. 19, 2021, 11:39 a.m.

These are some really good points Lindsay, I have always been wondering why there is a serious lack of indigenous post-secondary students. Do you think it could also be a cultural difference? By this I mean do you think that someone who is indigneous may not see the value in University/post secondary education because that is not their preferred structure when educating their youth and those around them? I feel like University seems so colonized in the way it works, I can understand if that is incredibly uninviting for indigenous individuals. Is there a way we could adjust the structure and make-up of a post secondary education to attract more indigenous individuals?

Re: What are some of the reasons indigenous people do not attend a post-secondary institution?  

By: Kristy on Oct. 19, 2021, 2:47 p.m.

Really great question
I am with you Tamara, I feel the colonized perspective of post-secondary education probably has a huge impact on the indigenous people not attending post-secondary institutions. Also as you said Lindsay financial barriers, and family responsibilities would come into play.