Hands-on Activities/Fieldtrips

Hands-on Activities/Fieldtrips  

By: janelle.smit on Oct. 10, 2021, 3:37 p.m.

I believe hands-on activities and fieldtrips are great for students to learn about Indigenous cultures first hand! I remember making Bannock with an Indigenous elder in grade 2 and I thought it was amazing!
What are some great hands-on actvities we can do in the classroom and or locations to visit for a fieldtrip?

Re: Hands-on Activities/Fieldtrips  

By: jackson.materi on Oct. 11, 2021, 11:47 a.m.

I think going to the Medicine Hat tepee is a great way for students to learn about Indigenous history and knowledge. You could have an elder be a guest speaker for your class and explain the significence of the symbols painted in the tepee and why this is such an important landmark in Medicine Hat's history. For a hands-on actvity, students could design their own rock using the knowledge they have learned about Indigenous symbols and customs.

By: jade.duce on Oct. 12, 2021, 10:01 a.m.

I remember in grade 4 we had the opportunity to make a class teepee. We had elders come in and teach us the importance of the teepee and then as a class we painted onto the canvas. We were taught what different symbols and drawings represented. We were then taught the proper way to build a teepee. It was pretty awesome. The teepee became the reading nook in the classroom. Once the school year was over the canvas was displayed on the wall of the school.

Last edited by: jade.duce on Oct. 12, 2021, 10:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: megancook on Oct. 12, 2021, 11:05 a.m.

There are many amazing field trips available in Southern Alberta & Saskatchewan to explore Indigenous culture.
Some that come to mind are:
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump
- Saamis Teepee
- Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park
- Tsuu T’ina Culture Museum, Calgary AB
- Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park, Siksika AB

By: abigail.pohl on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:52 p.m.

There are so many interesting places we can take our youth within our own back yard!
To name a few: Tsuu T'ina Cultural Museum, River Ranche Lodge, Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park.

Last edited by: abigail.pohl on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: Janay.Hein@mymhc.ca on Oct. 13, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

I found this website and it has a variety of Indigenous fieldtrips listed on it!
https://indigenoustourismalberta.ca/

By: morganfishley on Oct. 18, 2021, 9:52 p.m.

This is a great question! History in the Hills is a great opportunity for students to learn more about the history of Indigenous people. This event takes place in Elkwater on traditional Blackfoot lands. Students have the opportunity to learn more about traditional drumming and dancing (Cree), tipi pole harvesting, traditional games, Metis trapping and hide tanning, and so much more! The students are also given the opportunity to sample bannock, and the day finishes with a mini Powwow. I had the privilege of attending History in the Hills when I was a student, and I learned so much from the experience. It is a great experience for students of all ages!

Here is a link to the History in the Hills website: http://historyinthehillsgroup.com/