Ideas to guide students to respect the sharing circle.

Ideas to guide students to respect the sharing circle.  

By: joleen.binder on Oct. 9, 2021, 3:28 p.m.

My practicum teacher uses the sharing circle in her teacher practice, which I love, but because she has an open door policy for bathroom breaks, students are frerquently breaking the circle to go to the bathroom. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Ideas to guide students to respect the sharing circle.  

By: jackson.materi on Oct. 11, 2021, 12:34 p.m.

I would say that depending on when she does her sharing circle she could tell students to please use the washroom before she begins, such as when they come in from recess or right after lunch break. She could also stress the importance of being present and giving everyone the same respect as they gave when you were speaking.

Re: Ideas to guide students to respect the sharing circle.  

By: davilitokc on Oct. 11, 2021, 1:27 p.m.

I think you could ask the students to use the bathroom before the circle begins, however kids always change their mind so this might not work all the time. Another idea could be to state the importance of "not breaking the circle". Add some background information about indigenous culture and how breaking the circle could be detrimental to the information being shared!

Last edited by: davilitokc on Oct. 11, 2021, 1:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.