Strategies to help teach Indigenous content

Strategies to help teach Indigenous content  

By: jackson.materi on Oct. 11, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

What are some strategies that you would use to help you feel more confident and competent when teaching Indigenous content? Through experience do we get better or are there specific strategies that we can use to aid our teaching?

Re: Strategies to help teach Indigenous content  

By: davilitokc on Oct. 11, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

I feel like for me personally, the only way I would feel more confident is to watch other people who are more experienced than me. This way I can take specific things from these teachers and implement them into my own teaching. As well, I would definitely think about talking to somebody who is indigenous and bouncing ideas off of them about ways to teach indigenous content smoothly and respectfully.

Re: Strategies to help teach Indigenous content  

By: madison.kobelsky on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:18 p.m.

I definitely think that through experience we become more confident and competent in teaching Indigenous content. Right now, I am finding it difficult to know how to teach Indigenous content because I feel like there is still so much to learn, and I am sure everyone else is feeling the same way. However, I think the best strategies are to just keep working with what you have and using all the Indigenous teaching resources that are available to you! I believe by talking to Indigenous peoples, using Indigenous websites, and various other resources, we all will eventually be confident in what we are teaching.

Last edited by: madison.kobelsky on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.