What is your favorite Indigenous resource?

What is your favorite Indigenous resource?  

By: M.wass on Oct. 20, 2021, 10:19 p.m.

Do you have a favorite Indigenous resource that you will absolutely use in your K-6 classroom?
It can be a book, website, a game, anything that have come across that you would use in your classroom.

Re: What is your favorite Indigenous resource?  

By: joleen.binder on Oct. 21, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

The Book Nibi's Water Song written by Sunshine Tenasco is my favorite resource. Sunshine Tenasco is Anishinaabe from a small comminuty in Quebec that has been without clean drinking water since 2004. The book highlights the issue of the water crisis in Canadian Indigenous communities. I think this is a great way to get kids thinking about other people because water is so relatable. When they get thirsty, can they go to their sink and get a glass of clean water? The book is also a great starting point for more learning opportunities through letter writing campaigns and other community outreach projects.

Re: What is your favorite Indigenous resource?  

By: hailey.stewart on Oct. 21, 2021, 7:06 p.m.

I also LOVE Nibi's Water Song! Sunshine is an incredible woman and an inspiration to indigenous entrepeneurs!

Akilak's Adventure is a really sweet story about an Inuit girl and her grandmother that can be used to teach about loss and adversity.