1000 Ravens for Reconciliation

1000 Ravens for Reconciliation  

By: AngelaKettles on Dec. 8, 2020, 8:41 p.m.

The First Nations Centre at the University of Northern British Columbia, have asked people to make an origami Raven, as a symbol for the Truth and Reconcilation Act. The Raven symbolizes "bringing light to a world of darkness". The goal is to have 1000 paper Ravens, as the old Japanese legend states that anyone who folds 1000 paper cranes will be granted a wish. Their intent is to show how origami is not a simple task, and neither is reconciliation. This is to bring awareness to the Truth and Reconcilation Act, and how it takes many people to act upon reconcilation efforts, not just one. This is a collaborative effort. "The building of each raven is not an easy task, but Reconciliation is not easy either. You are going to face conflict building your raven, but let that be a reminder of the difficult process of Reconciliation. It won’t happen overnight, but with perseverance, we know the end result will be beautiful and will hopefully be motivation to complete this small task."

I think that this speaks to much of what we have learned throughout this semester, that educating people is so very important to these efforts. I think that this is something that our college could do in the future, to help bring awareness.

https://www.unbc.ca/indigenous-resource-dati/first-nations-centre/1000-ravens-reconciliation

Re: 1000 Ravens for Reconciliation  

By: alexaappell on Oct. 1, 2021, 11:21 a.m.

Hey Angela, is there any movement on this? I feel like it would be a really cool thing to have in the entrance area of the college!

By: megancook on Oct. 12, 2021, 10:54 a.m.

This is a beautiful project! It most definitely reflects the difficult task of reconcilliation! I like Alexa's idea of bringing in something similar to the college. Perhaps we could fold the ravens and send them to the UNBC if this is still an ongoing project!?

By: PaytonK on Oct. 19, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

This is such a powerful thing to do that has so much meaning behind it. I really like the idea of the college doing something like it, I think that doing something like this could possibly set a motion in place. I think it would be so incredible to slowly start to see other institutions doing something like this to bring awareness. If others could partake in this it would form an image of value and respect for the Indigenous community and bring people together to support reconciliation.

Last edited by: PaytonK on Oct. 21, 2021, 9:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.