Indigenization

Indigenization  

By: kdesjarl on Aug. 19, 2020, 3:35 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

I know that Indigenization has gotten some momentum as a movement throughout schools (both K-12 and postsecondary), and I think that's great, however, I don't think it goes far enough. Philosophically, from my perspective, it allows some types of knowledge to continue to supersede others, and while adding voices to curriculum is both good and important, I don't think it successfully upsets or upends colonial perspectives that continue to be the default in most of our education systems.

Re: Indigenization  

By: YolandaT on Aug. 27, 2020, 2:24 p.m.

I agree that more could be done in terms of decolonization/Indigenization but what specific things can we do besides bringing in more content? Educating nonIndigenous teachers about this subject matter could help, but I'm wondering about other specific changes... (not sure about this myself and would like to hear others opinions)...

Re: Indigenization  

By: JoshBaedke on Oct. 16, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

I agree with this. Students are now beginning at a young ate to learn more about Indigenous culture and traditions, however this is not enough. In order for change to happen and for Canada to move in the right direction students need to be taught why this is important. Indigenous people were here before us and this is a major part of our history, even if it is a scuffed portion of our history. Often times kids will grow up and hear about negative stereotypes from their parents; unless students are taught the truth and why it matters they will just become a part of the problem.