In the second portion of the story, Manstin, the rabbit. the titular character comes across a home in the forest, where he encounters a blind elderly male who Mastin envies for what luxuries he perceives the blind elder to have. In the elder's home are bags of self replenishing meats that was gifted to him by a benevolent spirit. curious about how the elder goes about with the remaining necessities of life, such as water and kindling for warmth; the elder informs Mastin that guiding ropes lead him to the river Bank and into the forest. Eager to find a way to live in such an easy and luxurious life he tells the elder that he'd gladly give his greatest treasure to be in the home of the elder. the elder informs him that the greatest treasure he has is that he has eyes to see; which Manstin eagerly offers to the elder. The elder takes the eyes and leaves the foolish Manstin in his home. Manstin quickly learns that the life that appeared so easy to elder is incredibly difficult and jarring to him. From falling into the river and getting lost in the woods, Manstin is miserable with his new lot in life. however the elder has pity for Manstin and offers his eyes back, as although he could see he is too old to do anything to appreciate it fully.

This story reminds me of a story I heard as a child, about a stone cutter, who makes a wish to the heavens that he would find happiness in life of only he was the king of all. Upon becoming the king, he executed his authority commanding everything and everyone in his realm of influence. however he grew displeased by something he could not command, the sun that blinded him and made things too hot for his comfort. Again. the stone cutter calls to the heavens "if I were only the sun I would be happy." He is than made to be the sun, whereas he could bring light to the darkness, dry up regions with his power. However, the stone cutter grew displeased by something he could not affect, the clouds that would block his light and hinder his intentions. Again he cried to the heavens, "if only I were clouds, I would be happy." And so he became clouds where he could bring life to desolate regions nd flood others with his rain. however the stone cutter grew displeased by the one thing he could not control, the wind that blew him hither and dither. and so the stone cutter cries to the heavens, "if only I were the wind I would be happy." And so he becomes the wind, able to cleanse areas beset by smoke and dust, and to cause strong storms to occur at his whims. again the stone cutter grew displeased by the one thing that he couldn't affect, a great boulder. Again the stone cutter cries out. if only I were a great boulder would I be happy. and so the stone cutter becomes the boulder; proudly he boasted about how he had become the pinnacle of creation, the king cannot command him, the sun cannot Annoy him with its light and heat, the clouds cannot wash him away, the winds cannot move him; truly nothing could surpass him. suddenly, he hears a noise at the foot of the boulder; a soft "tink tink tink" of a stone cutter's pick.

These stories hold a simular meaning as they both have a protagonist focus solely on the short term outcomes of a possible beneficial situation. but upon getting what they seek, they end up feeling disappointed by something that is beyond there control even still. with both characters in the end coming back to where they were in the beginning, wiser for their experiences.