First Contact

First Contact  

By: tamarabarth on Oct. 19, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

I LOVED this series! First Contact is series that takes six Canadians with very stereotypical opinions about Indigenous communities, on a 28 day exploration journey that makes them question their opinions and beliefs. It is incredible as it challenges the perceptions of these people and confronts their prejudices in a way that is very authentic and raw. Great film to show to high school students.
http://www.firstcontactcanada.ca

Re: First Contact  

By: tanishapreston on Oct. 19, 2021, 10:47 p.m.

Hi Tamara,
I feel like First Contact portrayed accurate representations on the average Canadian, which is greatly beneficial. It was refreshing to see non-indigenous Canadians admit they can not longer plead ignorance, and now must be a voice for Indigenous peoples the more educated they became. These six "average" Canadians learn their opinions and judgemental treatment towards Indigneous peoples was based off of stereotypes, racist societal norms and prejudices. On this 28-day journey, they are able to witness the lifestyles of numerous Indigenous peoples while learning how they were impacted by issues such as Residential Schools. First Contact should be a requirement for any participating member of society to watch.

Last edited by: tanishapreston on Oct. 19, 2021, 11:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: MilaJoubert on Oct. 20, 2021, 2:47 p.m.

I agree, I love the show! Thanks for the comment.

By: M.wass on Oct. 20, 2021, 9:07 p.m.

I agree. It was eye opening and is a must watch! I think if more people were able to have the experiences these people did, it would help change how average Canadians think about Indigenous people.

By: kaitlynbyam on Oct. 21, 2021, 2:03 p.m.

After watching this series, I believe more people should watch this to chagne their view on ideigenous peoples. I think lots of people can relate and have horrible stereotypes about the Indigenous people and this might be an eye opener for them. Great series to watch and gain a better understanding!

By: hailey.stewart on Oct. 21, 2021, 6:56 p.m.

I also loved this series! I think it would be incredibly eye opening for people who may have opnions closer to those that appeared on the show to see what their ignorance looks like!