Looking ahead to practicum

Looking ahead to practicum  

By: Ciana on Oct. 22, 2021, 9:34 a.m.

What is one FNMI activity/lesson etc. that you are thinking of including in your practicum? If it's grade specific please include your grade, and what other topics it can be integrated into.
My mentor teacher for grade 3 would like to include FNMI ideas in building with different materials, i.e. building teepees with popsicle sticks and having an inquiry lesson as to why the cone structure of a teepee is strong, why it is a cone, and how it differs from buildings and houses that we see around us.

Re: Looking ahead to practicum  

By: ChantelleDawn on Oct. 22, 2021, 5:32 p.m.

I love the idea of incorporating math Ciana!

I am placed in Grade One and I am hoping to introduce "Planting with Thankfulness: An Indigenous Story" by Maxine Hadubiak and Darren Quibell in Science. I am concerned that due to weather, I will have to get creative on how I plan to have my students actually plant something!
"Trudy's Healing Stone" by Trudy Spiller is a great book I plan to read right away to introduce my own classroom management strategies to implement alongside my Mentor teachers.

So far, that is all I have planned. I am hoping that I can introduce more and some games as I move forward, but I still need to figure out my boundaries before I jump in.