Should we involve FNMI students directly when discussing an Indigenous topic?

Should we involve FNMI students directly when discussing an Indigenous topic?  

By: jackson.materi on Oct. 11, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions on this. Personally, I think it depends on the student's willingness to contribute and discuss their cultural and ethnic background with the class. If putting them on the spot to speak for their ethnicity makes them uncomfortable, then teachers should not be blantantly singling out these students.

Re: Should we involve FNMI students directly when discussing an Indigenous topic?  

By: jade.duce on Oct. 12, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

I think this all comes down to the relationships you make with the student. By getting to know them and their story you will know if that student will be comfortable sharing. I think if you know you will be talking about something that you would like their perspective on, talking to them ahead of time would be the way to go. If they are not comfortable sharing the information themsevles maybe they would feel comfortable for the teacher to voice thier opinion for them. The key is to not push them to the point where they would never want to share or become ashamed of their opinion.

Re: Should we involve FNMI students directly when discussing an Indigenous topic?  

By: Janay.Hein@mymhc.ca on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:58 p.m.

I think FNMI students can be valubale 'resources' in the classroom when it comes to teaching Indigenous topics. Much like students from other countries. However, I think it is wrong for teachers to call out on students directly without building a relationship and getting permission. Therefore, I think teachers need to see if FNMI students want to share on their own like the rest of the class. If not they should ask them permission in a private matter rather than in front of the whole class, where they feel pressured to talk based on their born ethnicity.

By: abigail.pohl on Oct. 12, 2021, 9:10 p.m.

Depending on the relationship with the student to teacher and student to students could project the outcome of whether or not we should involve FNMI students directly when discussing Indigenous topics. If the student is not comfortable around thier peers, signling them out could result in a toxic classroom environment. It is best to observe the situation and see if the particular student(s) is willing to share and show about their culture.

Last edited by: abigail.pohl on Oct. 12, 2021, 9:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: Ciana on Oct. 19, 2021, 5:48 p.m.

I think that even if you have a great relationship with those students, have their permission, and they feel comfortable sharing, you should not call on them so often that it becomes a chore for them. Use them as a resource, but in moderation. They are students, not teachers. Other than this consideration, I think that it is incredibly valuable to hear things from their perspective and to include them in the teachings about their culture that you are facilitating.

By: Mackenzi.gill on Oct. 19, 2021, 6:19 p.m.

I think it all depends on what makes the student comfortable. Discussing with them beforehand what they would like to contribute or what they may not want to contribute in is very important. There are many different practices within the Indigenous culture. A few examples are Inuit, Métis, and First Nations. There are language, practice, traditions, and cultiral differences between many cultures. It's important as a teacher to not make mistakes, or avoid mistakes when possible, when discussing important topics within Indigenous cultures. If students are not willing to contribute, we need to respect their wishes.