Generational Trauma

Generational Trauma  

By: Ciana on Oct. 19, 2021, 5:32 p.m.

There is a lot of generational trauma in Indigenous communities due to attrocities such as residential schools. How can we approach these topics in a sensitive way to ensure that any Indigenous students in our classrooms can feel comfortable with the discussion? Can we create a safe space without asking students to tell us what sort of trauma they or their families have faced?

Re: Generational Trauma  

By: tanishapreston on Oct. 19, 2021, 11:05 p.m.

Hi Ciana,
It is absolutely important to not pry a child to speak about their trauma. A child suffering from intergenerational trauma might not understand what it is, they know what they are feeling, but they might not know why they are feeling that way since these are the only experiences they know. Even Indigenous educators might not know how to talk to these students, but they may be able to sympathize on a level of relatability. I think the best thing for educators to do is understand that intergenerational trauma is real. Trauma comes in many forms and students cope with it differently. By becoming aware of the situation and learning about why there is intergenerational trauma in the first place, I feel like educators will become more understading when they see certain behaviours in these students.

By: megancook on Oct. 20, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

I agree completely with Tanisha. It is not okay to pry into a student's life about trauma they or their caregivers have experienced, however if they are willing to share the stories of their lives, it is perfectly okay to listen to and acknowledge their expereinces. Something I would like to add, is that not everyone is ready to seek counselling, sobriety or may even think that what they have gone through is trauma or traumatic. We can meet students where they are at and direct them to resources to support them on their journey if they so choose.

By: Ciana on Oct. 22, 2021, 9:26 a.m.

Just to clarify, I did not mean to ask if we should or should not be prying into their lives. I more so meant that when topics of residential schools and the Indian Act come up, how can we be sure to tread carefullly on that topic without prying into their lives and trauma with they may not fully understand?

By: ChantelleDawn on Oct. 22, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

I think this is a very good question!

I find myself worrying about this to, but I think as long as you know your students and have history asking them about their roots, you should have a fair understanding of possible triggers...

However, I know that even if we plan for hours, or days, anything can happen. Even in the students you less likely expect, this is where empathy is truly everything.
I found a resource for you though that may help! Or at least, I hope it does!
https://www.edutopia.org/article/trauma-informed-approach-teaching-colonization-americas