Thoughts on National Truth and Reconcilliation Day in Schools

Thoughts on National Truth and Reconcilliation Day in Schools  

By: amyhuxley on Oct. 1, 2021, 11:14 a.m.

How do we feel about having school or not having school on this? If school is in how can we resepctfully acknowledge and educate. Feel free to share ideas or resources. I would love to know what some people experience and how we can learn for future years to come

Re: Thoughts on National Truth and Reconcilliation Day in Schools  

By: Lindsay.Reese on Oct. 1, 2021, 11:19 a.m.

I believe students should be in school on Truth and Reconciliation day because it is a day to honour the survivors and the children who did not survive residential schools. I feel like we disservice our students by not using the day to teach students the meaning of the day. We need to be honest about what happened in a way that children would understand.
For example, teaching students about how Phyllis's new shirt was taken from her on her first day of school. We could ask students how they would feel if someone took something from them that was important, how would they feel?

By: alexaappell on Oct. 1, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

I think as long as the programming is intentional and supported that we should have students in schools on this day. They will learn more about this in the classroom than at home gaming, IMO.

By: teighlac on Oct. 7, 2021, 10:22 p.m.

Students should be in school to honour the lost children and survivors of residential schools. We as educators need to discuss the tragic and painful history and ongoing impacts of residential schools that is has on individuals, families, and communities. September 30th is a day for students to be in school learning and having those important conversations rather than letting kids spend time at home.

By: Allison.Beck on Oct. 8, 2021, 3:26 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/should-the-national-day-of-truth-and-reconciliation-be-a-day-off-school-why
The CBC posed this same question to students. Follow the link to see both sides of the argument.