21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act (Joseph, 2018)

21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act (Joseph, 2018)  

By: ChristyG on May 20, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

I am using the above text in my 3rd Year Education Course: Indigenous Perspectives in Education. I would love any comments and/or info anyone has that has previously used this text in post-secondary.

Re: 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act (Joseph, 2018)  

By: kelseypastachak on Oct. 13, 2020, 3:52 p.m.

I am currently in Christy's third year education course and reading this text. I enjoy reading this text because the chapter's are not long and the acts are broken down and easy to understand. It is put in a way that can lead to much more discussion and activities. I love collaborating with my peers after individaully reading it to bounce ideas off each other and see everyone's persectives. Highly recommned reading this text!

By: malerie.walkom on Oct. 14, 2020, 2:07 p.m.

I am also in Christy's third year Indigenous Studies class and I really enjoy this book! Like Kelsey, I like that the chapters are short and easy to folow. I really appreciate the Indignous perspective and how these acts impacted their people for generations leading up to today. This book offers a deep look at their story but in a way that isn't to overwhelming.

By: TimoraHardiker on Oct. 14, 2020, 4:26 p.m.

Hello, I am currently in Christy's third year Indigenous perspective class and we are reading "21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act" I have really enjoyed reading this text because it has opened my eyes to the struggles of the Indigenous people. This text has also allowed for my colleagues and I to have really good open disscuss around the topics. I would highly suggest this book for any individual looking to learn more about the Indian act.

By: tboser on Oct. 15, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

This book has been a game changer really. I consider myself a bit of a history buff, and thought that I had a general idea about the Indian Act, but reading through this for a third-year Education class has really shown me how much I did not know! And this really is only a small snapshot of what information is out there to be learned! I have also really enjoyed reading through this text with my colleagues, as it has lead to some really great discussion both in our lecture time and in the sharing circles that we have been doing in class.

By: brittney.chomistek on Oct. 15, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

Hello, I am in Christy's third year Indigenous program and this is one of our texts that we get to read throughout this class. This resource has really opened my mind and really allows myself as a read to learn new things while also making an enjoyable read. It has helped give me some background information which gives me an educated response when it comes to discussions on the indigenous culture in class or outside of class aswell. I would highly suggest for individuals to read when learning about the Indigenous culture and perspectives. I gives people facts and knowledge to place behind the opiniions they give. We can not give an educated opinion without actually doing some research inadvance. Too many times we create a opinion on a culture without doing their own the proper resource. This resource gives a valid baseline of knowledge that individuals should learn before stating their own opinion.

By: kellenG on Oct. 15, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

I am also in Christy's Indigenous Perspectives Class. I have enjoyed reading this text because it has really taught me more about the Indian Act. Even though I have taken Canadian history classes in the past that touched on the Indian Act, this text is really eyeopening in terms of how much the Indian Act affected and continues to affect Indigenous lives. I think this topic is really important to explore because of the lasting impact the Indian Act has had, and this text does a great job of delivering useful information to the reader. Like others on this post, I also enjoy that the chapters are short and to the point, so this would be a great book for people wanting to learn who maybe don't have too much free time. It is really important to be aware of this topic. Being educated on it allows for useful discussion.

By: BrandonKlaiber on Oct. 15, 2020, 2:53 p.m.

I know I'm jumping and saying the same things as the others on here, however I do think it is worth the read! This book is a shorter easier read, yet there is plenty of powerful knowledge packed into this book. The chapters focus on the 21 big topics and Ideas that Bob Joseph wanted to bring light to. He does an incredible job explaining the lengths that the Canadain government and people went to try to eliminate them and their culture. In the back of the book there are also lots of extra resources and ideas to work through, great for discussions. He also adds a great section titled "21 Things You Can Do to Change The World", I think that this is a thoughtful list of ideas that we hopefully do already, or are aspiring to do.

By: Kirsten_Blasetti on Oct. 15, 2020, 3:07 p.m.

I am also one of the many students in Christy's Indigenous Perspectives class. I am really enjoying reading this book, esspecialy in tandem with the use of it in the course. It made making me think about topics that I had learned about in past classes but have never personally reflected on. These past classes were more about strictly learning the information and the facts, other that the impact that these events had on the Indignous peoples. This is an amazing book becasue it allows for you to clearly see the events that happended, explained the reasoning and cause behind these events, and showed the affect that these events had. The book really opened my eyes and is pushing me to learn more about Indignenous perspectives.

By: makaylas on Oct. 15, 2020, 11:14 p.m.

Currently reading this for a 3rd year education class!! It is something I would have read along time ago, it is so powerful and full of information. Thinking back to my high school education, the Indian Act was discussed but not in this light. The title speaks for itself, I really did not know what I thought I did. 100% reccomend this book for your own personal knowledge of our Canadian history.

By: claytonjquinton on Oct. 16, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

I have really enjoyed reading this book, it is really informative and helps draw light to many asspects of the indian act. I honestly wish I had read this book sooner as it has caused alot of introspection on my own thoughts and processes regarding the indian act and has really caused me to rethink the ways I was brought up to understand the Indian act. Deffinitly would reccomend giving this book a read.

Last edited by: claytonjquinton on Oct. 16, 2020, 9 a.m., edited 1 time in total.